TO ENSURE THAT THE AUSTRALIAN MERCHANT NAVY
“A TITLE EMBLAZONED IN BATTLE AND HONOURED IN FREEDOM”
IS RECOGNISED AS AN IMPORTANT PART OF AUSTRALIAN MARITIME HISTORY AND
HONOURING THE MEMORY OF AUSTRALIAN MERCHANT NAVY MARINERS WHO GAVE THEIR
LIVES IN SERVICE TO THEIR COUNTRY IN WORLD WARS I AND II AND GIVING
THANKS FOR THOSE THAT WERE ABLE TO RETURN TO THEIR FAMILIES.
From Left to Right
Mr. Phil Orchard WW2 Veteran, The Late Mr. Ernest Flint WW2
Veteran & long time Past President of the US Army Small Ships
Assoc. (Crossed the Bar 25/12/15), Mr. Stan Shardlow, WW2 Veteran
& Vice President MN RSL Sub Branch, Mr. Keith Pryor WW2 Veteran,
Mr. Vic Totman WW2 Veteran, Ms. Jennifer Collins, Deputy
Commissioner, DVA NSW, Mr. Joe Miller, WW2 Veteran (Crossed the
Bar 25/12/15, Mr. Bob Kirkpatrick, WW2 Veteran, Mr. Don Kennedy
WW2 Veteran & President MN RSL Sub Branch, Mr. Merrill Barker,
Secretary MN RSL Sub Branch, Mr. Frank O’Dwyer WW2 Veteran
The board of the Merchant Navy War Memorial Fund (MNWMF) seeks to
achieve this vision and objectives through:
• Ensuring ongoing viability and vitality of the annual commemorations
at Rookwood, NSW (April) & the National Merchant Navy War Memorial,
Canberra, ACT (October) by further developing the
with the Rookwood General Cemetery Reserve Trust (RGCRT) and the National Capital Authority (NCA)
• Supporting where possible other merchant navy war memorials throughout
• Initiating an Australia wide campaign for the Merchant Navy Emblem to
be added to existing War Memorials.
• Pursuing with the Australian National Flag
https://www.anfa-national.org.au/ and via ANFA the
six State Associations, a closer alignment of National Flag Day &
Merchant Navy Day, both of which are 3rd September each year.
• Enhance the close partnership developed with the Australian Maritime
College (AMC), through the “Merchant Navy War Memorial Fund Scholarship”
and identifying potential areas of part and/or full-time sea going
opportunities for AMC Cadets.
• Pursuing opportunities for Federal and State Grants, Corporate
Sponsorship, Bequests and Donations to offset costs and assist to fund
• An ongoing two year ‘strategic plan’ that documents policies and
procedures of key activities that can be followed and further developed
by those who follow.
• Working with the Merchant Navy RSL Sub Branch, the Merchant Navy
Association (MNA) and the Company of Master Mariners Australia (CMMA) in
the achievement of our joint objectives.
• Accepting the responsibility of our generation to ensure the continued
recognition of the service and sacrifices of the Australian Merchant
Navy in the years ahead and to “make a difference”.
• Encouragement of the next generation, to take up our and our
predecessors’ passion and commitment to ensure that future Merchant Navy
recognition is as secure in the future as in the past and the present.